Home Page Forums Puzzles Selfies

• Selfies

Vivek updated 3 months ago 3 Members · 4 Posts
  • KDKD

February 2, 2021 at 3:08 pm

Annie took selfies with her friends. Each of 8 friends appeared in two or three photos. There are five friends and Annie in each photo. How many selfies have Annie taken?

• Vivek

February 3, 2021 at 6:17 pm

4?

Suppose there are n photos. There are 8 friends. Each photo has 5 friends. So, Total count of people in photos is 5n. Also Let x friends appear in 2 photos and (8-x) friends appear in 3 photos. So, Total count is 2x + 3(8-x) = 24-x. So, 24-x=5n. Note that x<=8. So, only possibility for 24-x to be the multiple of 5, is when x=4. That gives 5n=20 and so, n=4.

• Puzzle Prime

Administrator
      February 4, 2021 at 11:47 am

I believe that’s correct Vivek. There is another interesting combinatorial problem @Mel_Yorkian posted below. Planning to think about it this weekend:)

• Vivek

February 4, 2021 at 6:33 pm

Interesting (When worlds collide?) it is. I too think about it. I am not sure whether I miss something. Wondering about this :- Conduct the fair lottery. If only all the individuals in the group win, That group will be selected. Otherwise the entire group will be rejected. If none of the group wins, Conduct the lottery again ?

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now